An in-depth tour of some of Portland’s well-known and up-and-coming breweries. See what some of Casco Bay’s best brewers are up to on our flagship tour.
Pickup & Drop-off Location: Old Port Spirits and Cigars
- Adult (21+)
- Private Tour (up to 14) Call to Book
DRINK LIKE THE LOCALS IN PORTLAND
Portland is known for beer, and this tour is planned to show you three great local breweries that are located just south of the city. Come with us as we explore on the Local Pour Tour.!
A local snack will be provided to each guest during the tour.
- Nonesuch River Brewing – Tim Boardman, Michael Schuler and Jeff Gambardella founded Nonesuch River Brewing Company with an eye towards creating a community-friendly atmosphere. Schuler had been homebrewing for close to 20 years when be brought some growlers to share. The beer impressed his friend Boardman who had previously been a commercial brewer. They designed their 5,000 square foot building inspired by historic New England barn architecture, complete with a tin roof, a spacious front facade and red siding. And it’s a full restaurant as well, with a culinary-trained chef at the helm. Learn about how they went so far as to incorporate the literal earth they built upon into their brewpub plan.
- Island Dog Brewing – Island Dog Brewing was established in 2016 by Jim Denz and Tim Francis, and are now the third brewery to call South Portland home. They produce primarily Belgian and German-inspired beers (including herb and spice ales), and the company name comes from the owner’s love of rescue dogs and the sheer beauty of Coastal Maine. Jim spent time in the Army, worked as a high school teacher, and spent many years working in technology. Jim met Tim, who has experience with homebrewing (in addition to a diverse background including retail, food service, and communications) at a beer festival a few years ago. Enjoy their spacious tasting room as you sip on beers infused with ingredients that you didn’t know would taste so good in beer.
- Fore River Brewing – Fore River Brewing Company opened in South Portland in early 2016, and they are already the oldest of three breweries in the city. John and TJ – two friends and avid homebrewers – teamed up with Alex the property owner (who had just sold his landscaping business) to open their original brewery. In 2020, they opened an impressive new production facility just a half-mile away, a space that we will get to explore with their beers in hand.
At the end of the Local Pour Tour, we’ll drop you back off at Old Port Spirits and Cigars, a perfect place to pick something up to indulge in later in the night after exploring lively downtown Portland.
Private Tour Option – Mixed Ferm
For privately chartered tours, you can book the all-beer version or the mixed fermentation exploration. Because there is much more than beer available here, the alternate mixed fermentation itinerary would bring you to one brewery, one winery, and a strong finish at a distillery.
- Foundation Brewing Company
- eighteen twenty wines
- Three of Strong Spirits
Note: Please arrive 15 minutes before your tour start time for check-in and to ensure a timely departure.
Please note that tour venues and details may change without notice due to unforeseen circumstances.